Chocolate beetroot cake


When I was in Australia two years ago, we visited a market in Byron Bay. I was about to buy a cake at small stand, when the vendor suggested me a raw beetroot-coco-chocolate cake, because 'it would make my blood flow'. Because I had my arm that time in a millet, I was told some hippie story about the benefit of bio-activated (apparently just soaked) nuts and that the red beet would be very 'healing' for my arm. Well, I am not into this hippie-story, but I loved that combination of beet, chocolate and cocos.  I tried to make a baked version of the raw cake.



Beetroot chocolate cake
serves 8

- 1 big beetroot, grated
- 200 g grated almonds
- 100 g coco flakes
- 50 g flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 100 g pure chocolate
- 3 tbs cacao powder
- 100 ml honey
- 100 ml oil


Making the cake. Heat the oven to about 200 C. Melt the chocolate au bain marie and when melted, add the honey. Mix the almonds, coco, flour, cacao and the baking powder. Also pour the eggs and the oil and the chocolate / honey to the dry ingredients. Add then the grated beets and stir for about 5 minutes and pour the dough into a greased tin. Bake for about 45 minutes until the outside is firm, but the inside still mellow.




No comments: